Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Tuesday News

There was a big fire downtown this morning. It was a hospital and it sounds like it is a very tragic day for many Costa Ricans who lost loved ones in the fire. We don't know the latest news on the death toll. Praise the Lord, there were survivors who were moved to other hospitals - I'm sure those hospitals are pretty crowded. One of Sean's teachers was just released from that hospital last week. We are very grateful to the Lord that she wasn't there when the fire happened. The hospital is gone, it went very quickly. Pray for those that lost loved ones in the fire as well as the survivors and their families.

We are doing well this week. Our weekend went quickly but was very refreshing. We visited a new church Sunday and enjoyed it a great deal. We understood the sermon, even got something out of it!!! This is a first for us here in Costa Rica so it is a huge blessing. In the States we really took it for granted that we understand the entire sermon. Funny how much it affects us when we feel lost the whole church service! Well, this past Sunday wasn't that way at all. It was nice.

Sean has a tutor now. Not because he's struggling in classes but because he wants extra practice in learning the language. I am amazed at his discipline and desire to learn Spanish. Over the past two and a half months, he has really improved. I'm sure it is because he goes ahead and talks with anyone and everyone about anything (in Spanish)! It is fun to watch him improve but it worries me a bit - so far I've been ahead of him but I'm a little worried that he'll pass me up...actually at this rate, I'm sure he will!

I just finished a prayer letter. That should be coming out before the end of the month. I always enjoy making our letters. This was a fun one since it is our first one from overseas. I remember how a few years ago I was imagining how cool it would be to write our first letter from overseas. It's the "real deal" now.

Pray for our empleada (employee...ie. maid) She went home sick today and was also very concerned for her son who had a very high fever. It sounds like they have what I had over the weekend. I felt pretty miserable but got over it fairly quickly so I hope it's the same for them.

Sean is going to play basketball tonight. I think I'll turn off the phone, finish up my homework and then spend some time reading a good book once I get Brooklyn to bed. I enjoy some peace and quiet every now and then!
--Rebecca

No comments: