Saturday, August 20, 2005

Model students...

Well, I hate to brag...but I'm going to brag. Sean and I both received straight A's in all of our classes for our first trimester. Sigh...too bad that doesn't also mean that we are expert Spanish speakers! Really, though, we (especially Sean) have improved a great deal over the last four months. I just don't think that Costa Ricans would believe us if we told them that we got straight A's in Spanish! Oh well...poco a poco. (little by little)

Our night out at the National Theater was fantastic. The theater was built in 1897 and it is truly magnificent. They just don't make buildings like that any more. The string quartet and pianist were so talented. It sounded like a cd - I was sure they weren't really playing but they were! It was actually an American group that performed. We had great seats, even though they were the cheapest at $10 each. It was a benefit event to raise money for an orphanage here in Costa Rica. So, we rubbed shoulders with some pretty well-to-do people. And there I was with my flip-flops drinking my diet Coke while all those sophisticated ladies in high heels drank their Merlot! Funny, I guess, when you think about it! You think they could tell we were missionaries?!

We went to the graduation today. A lovely ceremony. In 8 months that will be us. Is that possible?! It was a little sad to say goodbye to new friends...something tells me this isn't the last time we will have to part ways with friends. It seems to be part of the missionary life.

Well, I'd better get off to bed. Tomorrow we will catch a bus to Quepos at 6 am. We're going to stay at a hotel on the beach for a few nights and visit Manuel Antonio - a well-known national park here in Costa Rica. We've heard wonderful things about this place. We're looking forward to a few days to catch our breath after a busy, humbling, fast, jam-packed, over-stimulating, too-much-to-learn first four months in Costa Rica!

No comments: