Monday, December 12, 2005

I did it!

Yesterday, as Rebecca stated last week, I had a competition of spinning. It was for two hours and I don't think I have sweat that much since at least high school football, maybe never. For those of you who don't know what spinning is, here is the unofficial definition: "Spinning - the act of pedaling really hard and fast for a specified time period on a stationary bike, thus inflicting lots of pain and even more sweat." So there we were yesterday with around 200 people in a dance hall of a nice shopping mall, all pedaling our little tails off thinking we were going somewhere. You might ask , how you determine a winner of a spinning competition. The answer, you don't. Yes, this was basically one of those things I just needed to do, something to conquer, and challenge; as if Spanish isn't enough. I went with my grammar teacher who is a fitness nut, and her friend. They both did great, and after starting about an hour late, ( its Latin America, remember?) we conquered the "spinning-competition" about 2 hours later. Did I mention that every 30 minutes a fresh instructor was introduced to continue the torture with great effect? I hope I don't sound like I am complaining. I am not. I love physical things where you need to overcome your physical pains and just continue on. I think it was Sir Edmund Hillary that said, before becoming the first person to successfully climb Mount Everest in Nepal, "I am climbing Mount Everest because it is there." Those are not his words exactly, but it conveys the idea. Anyway, I would have to say that I don't think I would ever do a spinning competition again, but now I can check it off of my "to do list." Rebecca and I are trying to get geared up for maybe climbing Costa Rica's tallest mountain this next year, maybe in March or so. It is almost 12,000 feet high, which is quite a bit "shorter" than other 14,000 ft. mountians I have climbed in Colorado, but we will be starting a lot lower. Just another goal we have while we are here. We'll keep you posted.

Church was really good today. One of the students from our school that is graduating this week and going to Spain with his family delivered the sermon. He did a great job. I have found it is really hard to speak Spanish when you are not totally relaxed, at least at this point in my skills. Afterward the church really honored them and sent them off with a blessing. It was neat to think we will be there ourselves in a few months. I think I would even try the preaching bit if I was asked. Maybe. On second thought, maybe I would just do another spinning competition instead :)

No comments: