Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Busy...

Yesterday turned out to be a very fun yet busy day. After morning prayer at work I left with our maintenance man to go up the road about 7 miles to get water. Every Tuesday is "water day." We have water in our house, but we do not use it for drinking and cooking. So there is a well at a christian camp up the road that gives us water from their spring for free. We took jugs for everyone at the hangar that needed water and a few Ecuadorians from Shell. After I got back I worked on some various things around the hangar until lunch.

During lunch I got a call at my house to ride along on a flight. It was awesome once again to see what we do and how. Our chief pilot that I flew with wants me to do some riding along for a while to get familiar with routes, precedures, etc. So I should be doing a few more of these ride along flights where all I do is observe for another week or so. Then they will start putting me in the left seat and getting me back up to speed flying the airplane. Although I just got done flying an airplane thousands of miles from the States, the flying here in the jungle is totally different. When you only have 1000 feet to land an airplane and get it stopped, you better know what you are doing.

After work, Becca had made an awesome chicken pot pie. It was delicious! Later at 7 I went to help teach an English class that me and 2 other pilots teach. Last night was my first time so I was just observing, but next week I will be teaching. It is mostly people from our church, and it is a lot of fun. As with our language school experience, there are a lot of funny mistakes. That is the key to learning a language, being able to laugh at yourself.

Finally I got home around 9 and sat down for the first time that day. It was only a few mintes later and I was asleep.

Today we are working on the driver's license process. We have already been to the police station but the Major wasn't there, so we are going back in just a few minutes. Hopefully he has worked something out from the problems we had last week. We'll see...

By the way, today is the longest day of the year, at least if you are in the Northern Hemisphere. We are in the Southern, which makes it the shortest day of the year for us. Not that it makes much difference. Being only 2 degrees south of the equator, the days and amount of daylight are basically equal every day. We have about 12 hours of light, and 12 of darkness every day.

No comments: