Monday, July 03, 2006

La Ciénega part 2


I tried to put some more pics on the blog last night, but for some reason I was unable. Again, here is the chapel in the background with Brooklyn and I in the courtyard. The doors on the chapel appeared to be originals. They were made of wood, almost a foot thick, and hung on round hinges about the size of car axles. Within the two doors there were 2 smaller doors, that would be close in size to an "average" door. Inside the chapel they also had a glass case with 4 old catholic style priests robes. It did now indicate the year on those, although I would guess they might be originals as well, almost 300 years old!

Here Brooklyn and I are in the stable yard. It was probably about the size of a football field and was used as a staging area back in the day for animals, coaches, implements, etc. This was just outside of the plaza/house. On the oppisite side of this stable yard were a few locally raised farm animals. One of them sure caught our atention. It was guinea pigs. For those of you that don't know, guinea pigs are very popular in Ecuador. But people don't buy them as pets, rather they eat them whole and roasted over an open fire. You can buy them just about anywhere for about $15. That is a steep price, as guinea pigs, or "cuy" as they are called here, are considered a delicacy. Although I cannot tell you what they taste like, I hope to be able to some day. Something tells me they taste a little like chicken.

No comments: