Friday, September 01, 2006

This and That...

My checkout process has been continuing this week. I have flown 3 times so far, and I should be within a week or two of finally soloing. I am looking forward to this, although you sure cannot rush into it.

I have definetly been grateful for the care and time that MAF puts into the checkout process for the rookies like me. MAF already proved in the states that I can fly the plane to their standards, the checkout process is made so that I can integrate my flying skills with all the other "variables" that come with flying for a mission in a foriegn country.

Most of my flights this week have had some type of emergency patient on board. We had to divert a few times and change our flight plan mid-stream in order to pick up some critically ill people. I have been learning how to deal with the emotional component of our type of flying. It breaks your heart to load up some of the patients that I have had this week, and see thier kids, family members, and friends crying as you load them up. In some cases they may never see this person again. In order to fly safely, I am learning to find that balance of compassion while at the same time remain stone faced trying to do my job safely, without the distractions of a screaming kid in the back, or a woman vomiting, from who knows what, into a little sack. These are the things that you don't learn in a normal flight environment.

Also, dealing with the people when you land can definetly be a challenge. It is rare when you land, pick-up or drop-off your people and/or cargo, and takeoff. 90% of our landings are met with throngs of desperate people wanting to leave the jungle for various reasons or simply because you are the attraction for the day. Some of the reasons they give for leaving are very legitamate, while others are simply trying to get a free ride to the outside world. Once again, I am learning how to be stonefaced yet sensitive to the real needs. It is hard, and sometimes you don't get it right, but God continues to use these examples to show me His love for us. It is a high learning curve, but it makes for good sleep at night.

Becca and I want to thank all of you that pray for us, and ask that you continue! We are already beginning to see how the work of the Lord can easily be put before the Lord himself. Pray with us that we stay encouraged, that we grow to know Jesus more today than we did yesterday, and that we can shine in this very different world.

No comments: