Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Good food and Good Fixins'

GOOD FOOD:

Yesterday we suprised ourselves with some simple yet awesome food dishes. A few weeks ago we found some fresh blueberries at the store, and bought them with the intent on making blueberry pancakes. I try to cook breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I really enjoy the freedom of just relaxing and making some breakfast, not trying to hurry and be off to work or any other appointment. So, I made some pretty good apple/walnut/cinnamon pancakes on Saturday. But Sunday morning was the real deal. Those blueberry pancakes were some of the best we have ever eaten if I must say so myself. Not to mention it has been years since we ate such an American breakfast icon.

Then came dinner. Ahhhh yesssss...that one will go down in the record books. Also a few weeks ago when we bought the blueberries, we found some nice T-bone steaks. Three steaks for five dollars. That was a good deal we thought, and if they didn't turn out too good, we weren't out a whole lot of money. The various cuts of meat that we as Americans are used to don't exist here. They simply take the cow, chicken, pig, ect. and cut off a piece of itt. It isn't un-common to order chicken at a reasturant and get some meatless piece of the back. You asked for chicken didn't ya? They don't get the concept of cuts of beef either. New York strip, t-bone, filet mingon, rib eye, ribs, ect. don't exist, except in the larger city supermarkets...sometimes. And even then, the cows aren't corn or grain fed like those in the States. They are mostly grass fed. This gives the meat a little different flavor, but mostly a lot less fat. Now, I grilled our three steaks while Becca made corn on the cob, sauted mushrooms, peas, and baked potatoes. I could go on about how different the corn and potatoes are here, but I don't want to bore you too bad. Let's just say they were not typical either. So, our meal wasn't anything extremely elaborate, or well prepared. It was just food that we were accustomed to in the States, that we were able to find here, and it was STINKIN' GOOD!

GOOD FIXINS'

On Saturday, I also took the Bronco to the hangar to work on some various little squaks, and wash and clean it really well. Yesterday morning when I went to pull out of the driveway, my brake pedal went all the way to the floorboard. This raised an eyebrow, but I have seen worse. They pumped themselves back up and I went to do what I had planned. En-route, I heard a funny noise coming from the front left wheel. Upon inspection at the hangar, I found that one of my brake linings had come completely off, and the remenants were trapped in between the caliper and the disc making a lot of racket when I was driving. So once again I was off to Puyo today to see of they had parts, knowing that in the back of my mind they wouldn't and I would have to order them from one of the big cities in Ecuador, and wait. But...lo and behold they had brake parts at the parts store. Not only that, they had two sets to choose from, a regular set, and a fancier set. Feeling unusually gratefull that I found good car parts in the middle of the jungle for a 1994 Ford Bronco, I went ahead and splurged and bought the fancy set of brake linings. I promtly returned to the hangar and put them on, and boy that Bronco will stop on a dime now. Now, I wonder what tommorow will bring...?

No comments: