Tuesday, November 28, 2006

From the logbook...

What a beautiful morning I am seeing right now. When I woke up yesterday, it was raining...go figure, equatorial rain forest. As expected, we had a lot of flights to get done yesterday. It wasn't until 11am that I launched on my first flight taking Compassion International folks to a village called Chinkianentza. Even after waiting until lunch time, mid-route I still had to divert to Makuma because the weather was shutting down around me the farther I got out into the jungle. I landed in Makuma with my tail between my legs and was glad to be on the ground. I was there for about 2 hours while we let the weather rain itself out a bit.

All wasn't lost in Makuma. I enjoyed lunch there with there with the Holmes, some missionaries that work with the Achuar Indians. They are awesome people. Dwain Holmes is also a reptile buff. For those of you that think I am always playing with bugs and things...well, he has be beat...bad. He has so many snakes in his house, some don't even have an English or Spanish name...meaning they have never been documented before. He had about 12 different species at his house yesterday. They were impressive. He has even had universities come and study at his house and document these new species. While Dwain is walking through the jungle to Achuar villages, barefoot I might add and in shorts, he takes his snake grabbing stick and just keeps his eyes peeled. Anything that comes close to his path is quickly snatched up and put into the collection, at least for a while.

Finally the weather in Makuma subsided, and I had good reports from Chinkianentza. I made the 20 minute flight and dropped off my passengers, and then flew back to Makuma to bring out some other missionaries who needed to come out to "civilization." When I got back to Shell, the weather was becoming beautiful in the late afternoon, so I loaded up for one more flight to the village of Wayusentsa. Again I had a load of Compassion International people and their cargo. I returned to shell after the 45 minute flight and landed for the last time at about 5:30 pm.

When I got home, Becca had done a great job of beginning to make our house a home. I am so glad for the ability God gave to women to be able to do that. If it were up to me, I would already be content the way things are. Not because I like bare walls and boxes everywhere, I just lack the ability to know what to do.

Today we are busy again flying. I have a least one long flight, and we will see if anything else comes up, highly possible.

No comments: