Friday, November 10, 2006

From the logbook...Villano roadkill cafe

Last week I took a team of Compassion International people into a village called Villano to do various things for a week. Today, was their ticket out. When I arrived, they were not quite ready to leave. This was the only flight I had today, and the weather was good, so I told them I could wait for them. Here is a little look at what happened while I was there...
This is the cooking area for this part of the village. It was almost lunch time when I arrived, so they invited me to eat lunch with them. I gladly accepted, knowing that today's lunch might be an adventure.
We had a little free time while lunch was cooking, so I thought it would be a good idea to start getting their cargo near the airstrip, so that when we were ready to leave, it would be there ready to be put in the airplane after lunch. We have been shut down the past 2 days with rain, and they were not exempt in the jungle either. They had recieved a lot of rain, thus explaining the muddy trail.
I purposely didn't mention what was cooking for lunch in the picture above. I wanted to show you first hand what it looked like. The big claw/foot/leg on my plate is armadillo. Behind it is the typicall chicken, and in the green mug at the top of the picture is a drink called chicha. I have to admit, it was my first time eating armadillo. The funny thing...yes it did taste like chicken. Despite it's poor presentation, it was actually very edible. The drink is made from yucca root. It was a little harder to put down than the armadillo. Luckily, they gave me the non-fermented version. Chicha is notorious as the jungle alchohol. After the pulp is juiced from the yucca root, then village members begin to chew up pulp pieces, and spit it into a common pot. The saliva quickly ferments and makes the chicha alchoholic. Mine was "freshly" made, and was not the pre-chewed or spit-out version. Despite my hosts increadible hospitality and friendliness towards me, I am not in the mood for chicha or armadillo in the near future. Also in the top corner of the picture you can see what looks like a banana. They are plantains, which are similar, but not sweet.

No comments: