Wednesday, January 31, 2007

From the logbook...

I had two flights today, my first being several patient returns. It took about 1.5 hours and 5 landings and I was back in Shell. We had great weather again today, which helped us all get a lot done in an efficient manner.

My second flight we went to a village called Tiwaeno. It is inhabited by the same Indians that killed the 5 missionaries in the 50's and made international news. Many of you have seen the recent documentaries and movies about them. A member of the spearing party named Dewy is still living. Every time we land in TIW he prays with the pilot. I was able to enjoy this blessing today. It was a powerful experience as he prayed in his native tongue, of which I don't understand a word. We often use Spanish as a bridge with the many languages we encounter every day. I went with our instructor pilot Chad to TIW as he wanted me to get some more experience into this part of the jungle.
This is a typical house for these Indians. They construct their houses differently than the rest of the Indian tribes, although I'm sure it all works the same in the end.
This is the "owner" of the house above. He is seen here demonstrating how his blow guns work that he made. It was pretty neat.

This is a little parrot that I saw as we walked through the village. He is a pet they told me, but really mean. Therefore I didn't get to close, but he was colorful.

No comments: