Thursday, January 25, 2007

From the Logbook...Jungle touring 101

I haven't written a lot lately about my flying adventures because there hasn't been any. I have been flight coordinating this week, therefore I try to keep myself on terra firma to aid in the logistical process of keeping everyone else going. But, yesterday I did join up with Chad to do a flight to some new places I had never been. Our first stop was 50 minutes away. The weather in Shell was questionable, but reports that I had from the sector we would be flying into reported "strong sun." We entered the clouds shortly after leaving Shell, and got out to our destination still in the clouds. All our other alternates were closed down as well, which gave us the only option of turning around and coming back to Shell. So, I got to log some good training time in the clouds with Chad, but as far as entering some new airstrips, that will have to be another day.

Today I have a flight to do as well. We'll see what happens with the weather. It's always a tossup. There is no predicting equatorial weather. It isn't like in the northern or southern latitudes where you see a storm system develop days, sometimes weeks, before it arrives and affects you. Although I wouldn't call our weather severe, it is most definitely extreme in its unpredictability and movement.

No comments: