Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Random Ramblings

  • With Becca gone, my mental routine of who has what keys, where, finally caught up to me today. First thing this morning I walked out the back door, and as it closed I realized I just locked myself out of the house. Nothing like a swift foot to the door to break it down. Needless to say I had to fix our door this morning. It's not perfect, but we'll get er' fixed a little better later.
  • Because of my key fiasco, I organized all of our keys. Ever since we moved into this house, there has been about 3 million keys hanging on our key hanger that go to something. I got all those sorted out, and hopefully I won't be locking myself out anytime soon.
  • I had today off from work. Most of Latin America is celebrating Carnival. Yesterday I was the only pilot on call while everyone else had Carnival off. I flew almost 4.5 hours, and came home wiped out.
  • Tomorrow begins Ash Wednesday. The reason for Carnival dates back hundreds of years, and originated as a Catholic "celebration." Because of the various fastings, and things abstained from during the season of Catholic lent, the tradition has been to "let loose" one last time before you celebrate the Lent season which terminates at Easter, 40 days later. In the Spanish language (and most Latin based languages) the word "carne" means meat or flesh. Therefore, Carnival (carneval) is a celebration of imbibing of all pleasurable things of the flesh. Mardi Gras in New Orleans is basically an American version of Carnival for those of you like me that might need a mental picture to understand the large amount of partying going on.
  • After picking my fruit trees of practically every piece of fruit about 3 weeks ago, I still managed to pick a 5 gallon bucked again this evening, full of lemons, limes, and oranges. I will give it to our maid.
  • Since Becca has been gone, my diet has really been great. Yesterday I had bread and yogurt all day. Tonite for dinner I walked into town and bought a piece of cake and some coke. For lunch I had good ol' macaroni and cheese.
  • Tomorrow we will be busy flying. The president of Compassion International is flying into the jungle with us to see some of the work first hand that his organization is part of.
  • Our dog Maya has been wondering into the house a little bit lately as I leave the doors open as I walk in and out. I heard her barking inside this afternoon, and upon further investigation found her in front of the hall mirror wondering where that other dog was at. It was pretty funny!

No comments: