Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Papallacta trip...in pictures

Our trip to the town of Papallacta was great! Rather than describe everything, I thought I would put some of my favorite photos and tell you about them. Granted, there isn't a lot of pictures of family. You will have to check Becca's blog for that...For those of you who like pictures like me, I will be putting more on the web album.

"You steer and I'll pedal." I wonder if this conversation really ever took place. It's not uncommon to see 4 people on a bike.

In the Quechua communities that we drive through in the mountains, this is a very common sight. A man or a woman carrying a huge load of something on their backs. Needless to say, you also see many people without a load on their back still in this same bent over position. It makes my back hurt just looking at it. This is just a look at the country side as we climbed high into the Andes on our way to Papallacta. The scenery was stunning!

This is the only shot of Antisana volcano that I got. She only came out one night, the rest of our time at Papallacta it was covered in clouds. Pretty impressive sight even at night.

One afternoon, I went on a hike while my girls took naps. This little blackbird gave me a good time trying to get a good picture. The hike was awesome as well. I even fell asleep in a grassy meadow, and there weren't any chiggers to eat me alive like in Shell. Granted, not many insects live at over 11,000 feet.
I know it may seem common to most of my readers, but I haven't seen a good ol' bunny rabbit in years. I was about as giddy as Brooklyn for seeing this one.

This is main street Papallacta. Very simple, and very small.
This is the whole town of Papallacta as seen from the road as it descends into the little village.




We did some exploring one morning, and this is one of the lakes we found. Can't say how long it has been since I saw a mountain lake either. It was a very refreshing experience to just sit enjoy the quiet nothingness at the lake.
This is a shot of the páramo as we drove to the lake. Again, another great experience of vast nothingness. Quite a significant difference from the dense jungle we live in. We felt like we were in a different world, or at least a different country. It was a little surreal.

Mommy took a fun shot of me and Brooklyn goofing off on this big rock. Brooklyn had a blast just running through the grass and throwing rocks into the lake.
Here is another shot from the lake. We found a road that went around it, and then stopped for a while and threw some rocks in the water and just relaxed. Madison just stayed contently in the car.
On the way to Papallacta, Becca took this photo of one of the many uses of a trunk, or maybe one of the many uses of children, to hold your trunk door open. We still can't get used to some of the things we see.

No comments: