Sunday, May 27, 2007

Yet again...

After being immersed in a Spanish speaking environment for more than 2 years now, Rebecca and I feel like our Spanish speaking abilities are constantly improving and growing. I know that I have a LOT more to learn, yet there aren't many situations that give me fear anymore simply because Spanish is being spoken. But, we still make some dumb mistakes, typically on a daily basis. The funny thing about this mistake it that is had my money involved.

Hopefully some of you as my readers have received postcards from us from time to time. Postcards are not expensive here but I found a way I could do it even cheaper, and use my own photos as well. One of our pilots knows a good print shop in Quito and he helped me get things going. In order for the print shop to make my order worth their time, they wanted to print 1000 postcards. I have six different photos, so I was getting a little under 200 postcards of each photo. This was many more than I needed, or ever could write, but I was still getting a better deal than paying the individual prices on postcards I have been paying from a store in nearby Puyo. Now, the part that was lost in translation...

A few weeks ago, my postcards arrived from the printer. They looked great! But, after reviewing my bill, I didn't have 1,000 postcards, I had 3,000! This is FAR more than I will ever need. So, we will continue to send these postcards, and hopefully some of you will be getting some as time goes on. But, what do I do with the other 2,900 postcards?! After talking with my boss, he is allowing me to sell some of them at our hangar. We always have groups passing through the hangar, and even people here in Shell that would like to use them as well. In the middle of last week I built my display and made it public. And wouldn't you know it, I am already selling them. So, I guess I could say that I am making money on my 3,000 postcards, but profit is a LONG way off!

No comments: