Saturday, June 30, 2007

From the logbook...Southbound

I only had 1 flight today of about 2.5 hours with 7 landings. My main goal was to pick up a medical team from the local hospital from a community called Kaan (KAN). This community is way down south, very close to the border of Peru. A unique thing about this strip is that it lays within the CutucĂș mountain chain. This is a small cordillera that runs north to south in the jungle. The terrain is very rugged, and very beautiful. I had decent (although not great) weather, which made for a fun day. Flying in the mountains and over ridges and through valleys was a lot of fun, and a lot more demanding than the usual flatlands of the jungle.

One of the missionaries that I picked up took this group picture of us. I have been told that I stand out, do you think it is my hat? Overall, the community of KAN seemed really nice and not out just to get a handout.
While it is always hard to convey the ruggedness of things like terrain through pictures, this is a bit of what it looked like on my way home from KAN. There were waterfalls everywhere, and stunning gorges and rivers. I can't wait until I am sent down in that neck of the woods again. It was a fun day.

No comments: