Thursday, June 28, 2007

From the logbook...Way out there

Today, I went to a new airstrip for me called Cononaco Bameno (CNC). We don't fly to many places that are much farther than CNC, at just over an hour from Shell. CNC is a Huarani village and is a little more "authentic" than other villages. Because of it's distance and isolation I speculate that all the influences of the western world haven't taken hold...yet. But, as you will see below, there are some things from our world that are just to ironic that have made it to the middle of no where.
Very often when we land, as pilots, we are asked various things. A common request is help with a radio. Sometimes it is simple to fix, other times it is over my head, like today. Because I couldn't fix the radio, I just brought it back to Shell and hopefully it will be fixed soon. The reason I put the above picture on the blog is the irony of the sticker that is on it. I couldn't believe that a Wal-Mart sticker made it all the way out into the Amazon jungle, I'm talking way out into the jungle. The human footprint and the places we travel and make trade are intriguing to me.

These are the guys that I helped with the radio. The guy in the white tank top told me he was just in NYC for an international conference for something. I wonder if all the people he met realized how far away and isolated he really lives. The fella on the far right is a small example of some of the old traditions. Although he has a shirt on, he's not wearing much else. He is wrapped in a type of loin cloth. The women of the village were a little more "natural" than I am used to as well.

Nearby where I stopped the airplane grew these pretty flowers. This particular type grow everywhere, but these were some of the nicest I have seen. The bugs crawling on it were pretty unique as well.

No comments: