Sunday, August 26, 2007

From the logbook..."I been everywhere man..."

This morning when I arrived at the hangar there was a various array of flight requests from all sectors of the jungle. The hard thing is that they were all important and needed to get done. Long story short, I flew almost 5 hours and had 11 landings, all in one flight. I was able to use our hangar queen, or Alas 11. She recently left the hangar for the first time in a few months after receiving a new engine and better avionics, just like Alas 10 did before. Now, Alas 13 is in for a makeover.

(Yanayacu just before takeoff, and just after using the jungle bathroom.)

My last 2 stops involved picking up patients. Initially, I was just going to get a guy out of Yanayacu (YAN) and come back to Shell, but just after takeoff in YAN I was informed of some little kids that needed to be brought out of a hospital in the jungle to get more advanced care. I am glad I had the gas to get there, because they were in really bad shape. They were both 8 years old. One had severe pneumonia and the other had all sorts of problems. That poor little guy could hardly breathe because his lungs were so full of fluid. Thankfully after stopping for a shot of gas in Makuma, and then arriving in Shell, the Red Cross was quickly there to take them to the hospital.

No comments: