Tuesday, February 19, 2008

From the logbook...450 meters of Hog Trough

I only had 5 landings today, although it took me 4 hours to get it done, one of which was in the clouds. My first landing took me to one of the farthest destinations we fly to near the Peruvian Border. At almost an hour and 20 minutes away from Shell, the military base of Loracachi sure made me feel deserted being so far away from civilization. From there I worked my way back to Acado to bring out a work team. The weather was pretty bad, and once I was on the ground in Acado, I decided to wait until things substantially improved until I left.

The airstrip in Acado was awful! It was mud from one end to the other, just like landing on ice, but it flies all over the place when you land on it and taxi through it. After enjoying a nice lunch with the Acado community, and waiting about 3 hours on the ground, I was finally able to take off for the first of three flights back to Shell. After I got to Shell, I put on gas, and went back to Acado to get another load of people, which thankfully are now going to make their flight back to the USA tomorrow.

As I approached Acado for my second landing, a coworker of mine was already there and about ready to take off. As I circled waiting for him to takeoff, I got some pictures from a different perspective.

Here he has just lifted out of the Hog Trough. Look closely just before the river and see the little airplane go!

No comments: