Wednesday, February 06, 2008

From the logbook...Carnival Flying

Carnival, or Mardi Gras as most Americans know it, is in full swing. Today is Fat Tuesday, therefore things will be back to normal tomorrow. Carnival is such a big thing down here in fact that the last two days were national holidays. That said, I was the on call pilot today while everyone else enjoyed a nice day off.

This morning I made a quick flight to take some patients home, and then I picked up some more on the way home. Thinking I was done for the day, I came home and settled into a nice nap. Well, it was short lived as one of the volcanologists called me and wanted to go get some aerial shots of nearby Tungurahua while it is erupting.
Shortly thereafter I was getting the airplane ready to make the accent to 19,500 feet above sea level. The flight was great, as they always are when the volcanoes are truely out of the clouds. As we flew around the volvano taking pictures and thermal images, Tungurahua didn't dissapoint. Almost consecutive explosions were ocuring, which really gave the volcanologists something to clap about.

Tomorrow we have another flight planned if the weather cooperates. I'll be sure to fill you in if it happens.

No comments: