Sunday, February 17, 2008

From the logbook...Flying Ambulance

I thought my on call was going to be a spoof, that is...nothing to do. I didn't have to wait long to learn I was wrong. I few days ago I brought out a mom with her sick baby. Tragically, the baby didn't make it. Because they don't embalm people here, burials happen quickly. Therefore, taking this mom and her now dead baby back to the jungle was a high priority. Also, the woman I brought out this past Thursday after a bad miscarriage was ready to go home as well. As I was ready to leave and take these patients back home, we received a call about a 4 year old boy that had burned himself with some boiling water.

Soon I was off making my rounds. The flight was a non event. I dropped off my patients, and then picked up the poor little boy who definetly needed some medical attention. On the way home, the weather had built up pretty big, which forced me into the clouds for the majority of my 45 minute flight to Shell. Thankfully, I broke out of the clouds about 20 miles from Shell, which meant I didn't have to do the approach. Also, there was an awaiting ambulance for the little boy and his mom, which is untypical for the weekends. I was expecting to have to send the boy to the hospital in a taxi.

As I flew over the vast brocolli that is the Amazon Jungle today, I saw this halo rainbow as we came out of the clouds. Rainbows are such a sweet reminder of God's promises in our lives. Even with all the rain we have here, they aren't a common ocurance. It just made be reflect on all the uncertainty that is our future right now. When I was in the clouds, I couldn't see a thing, and had to rely on my instruments and training. Then, for a brief instant we broke out just to see God's promise reminding me that He is worthy to be trusted, and then just that quick we were back into the clouds, by faith, once again, navigating towards Shell.

No comments: