Saturday, February 23, 2008

From the logbook...the Last One

Wouldn't you know it...my last day to fly an MAF plane in Ecuador and the weather is too bad to fly. Shell was shut down in rain and so was ALL of the jungle. We weren't going anywhere to fast. Thankfully, the crew at the hangar took me and my girls out to lunch at the Chinese Restaurant. That was a nice treat. We closed and locked all the doors at the hangar for an hour while we all went out to eat.

The weather did improve enough in the late afternoon for two flights, both of which I was fortunate enough to do. My first was just a post-maintenance flight around the local area of Shell. After things checked out okay, I went to a village called Liquino, about 20 minutes away, and picked up a group working for Compassion International. After loading them up, we were soon landing in Shell for what was presumably my last landing in Ecuador. VERY bittersweet!

Now, we are just going to be trying to get our things packed, sorted, and thrown away in the next 2 weeks or so. No doubt our lives are going to be filled with chaos for the foreseeable future, but it will all be worth it.

No comments: