Monday, March 10, 2008

Morning Cough

While walking to the corner store this morning I saw something that hasn't been seen in Shell for a long time...the volcanoes. Due to constant cloud cover, and their high altitiudes, the volcanoes of Sangay and El Altar have rarely been seen most of this year. As I walked back from the store, I looked at Sangay again and it had erupted, or coughed as it were. By the time I walked home and dug out my camera, the plume was already being dispersed by the winds above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Planning a trip to Ecuador in about 3 weeks. Is this dangerous (volcanos) or just the norm?

Rebecca said...

Yes, volatile volcanoes are the norm in Ecuador. They can and do pose a threat. At the moment, there is nothing to worry about. The only volcano that should be watched for your time here might be Tungurahua. (see my post from Mar.1,2008) Again, it has calmed down a lot, but it is the most active one at the moment. Otherwise, the volcanoes usually just provide an awesome photo. There are over 12 in a country the size of my home state of Colorado.