Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring Flying in the Rockies

Yesterday, I had the privilege of taking a "quick" one hour flight north to Eagle airport, aka, Vail and back. The scenery was stunning as usual in Colorado, but I sure couldn't turn off the "fasten seat belt" sign. Due to the high winds in the mountains (over 50 MPH), it was very bumpy. In pilot speak, it was continuous light, occasional moderate...referring to the level of turbulence. Nothing particularly unsafe about it...just painful against the seat belt.

I am grateful my camera lens has an image stabilizer built into it. While this picture looks crisp and in focus, it wasn't due to the smooth flight. I was getting tossed all over the cockpit trying to get this picture and others (the autopilot was "flying"). Thankfully a few pictures turned out okay.

No comments: