Thursday, March 11, 2010

Standing Alone


Sometimes, when you are serving God in the way that you believe He has called you it may leave you feeling isolated and alone at times. Of course, He never leaves us, nor forsakes us and He is worthy to be trusted with every atom of our being.

Trying to explain to people sometimes why we are missionaries, and why we would want to willingly leave the "comfort" of the USA often falls on deaf ears. Usually, when someone asks that question, they don't really care to hear the answer. However, every once in a while, someone asks that question of us, because they feel God moving in their life in a similar way to what He has called us to. I was recently reminded of something I read in My Utmost for His Highest that sums it up better than I can.

“We are not told to ‘walk in the light’ of our conscience or in the light of a sense of duty, but to ‘walk in the light as He is in the light. . .’ (1 John 1:7) When we do something out of a sense of duty, it is easy to explain the reasons for our actions to others. But when we do something out of obedience to the Lord, there can be no other explanation—just obedience.” Oswald Chambers

2 comments:

Chad and Andi Irwin said...

Since I was just commenting on your wife's blog I thought I'd better comment here too. Don't want you to feel left out!

Hey, you should make prints of these great Colorado pictures to take with you to Indonesia. I made some of from our time during furlough and they have been great for conversation with the Ecuadorians....even the guy who did my prints in Puyo said he made extra to hang on his walls! Is that legal????

Seriously, love your photos....but your blog is getting a bit deep for my shallow mind!

Sean Cannon said...

Andi...since I know you left this last comment due to you admitting that my blog is to deep for ya, ask Chad to dumb it down for ya.

That is too funny that the foto guy liked your fotos too. Don't know whether you should be flattered or mad. Have a great weekend guys...