Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Rice World 3

The heavy machinery...a team of water buffalo.  Since rice paddies are pure mud, you won't see a tractor tilling the field.  Water buffalo are still used and are a vital part of the rice production process.  However, there are machines now that do a similar task and I have yet to get a picture of one.  Picture in your mind a garden rotor-tiller on steroids with LARGE paddle wheels attached to the sides and you will get an idea of it.  Maybe in the near future I will get a picture of one in action.

This breed of ducks makes me laugh.  They walk almost completely upright, and they are actually "herded" just like sheep or goats.  This "herd" of ducks was left in the sawah after harvest no doubt because of the ample rice grains left behind and the special "presents" the ducks will leave behind as well.

Even the water buffalo can't get a break while at the sawah.  This poor mom buffalo (and another like her outside of the picture frame) still had a suckler.  I thought is was great that the guys pictured in the back would wave at me as I took their picture.  Most of the people that live in our neighborhood are used to seeing foreigners due to the language school.  However, I traveled a few kilometers outside of normal to get these pictures and I always have the most interesting conversations about what I am doing in the middle of no where. But as always, I am greeted with friendliness and kindness from the locals.

3 comments:

Arielle said...

Very interesting learning about life in Indo. I especially like the pictures of the water buffalo.

carrie said...

Great pics, Sean. I love your little tutorials on life in Indonesia. It's all so DIFFERENT and fascinating. Audrey just said this morning that she sure wished we could live in Indonesia. Of course there are three very specific reasons why...the cousins. ;) Love to you all.

Dave said...

Nice shots of the rice world. Here in Kalimantan they can only get one crop per year. The weather is similar, but I think it has to do with the soil. You have some of the best soil in the world over there!