Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Few Sights Around Salatiga

In the mornings after the girls are all at school Becca and I try to go for a walk a few times a week before we hit the books and do our homework.  As we stroll through the neighborhoods the "collision of technology" that we see everyday still collides with our paradigm of what the world should look like.  At least it is beautiful.

I have been meaning to get a picture of one of these in operation for some time and I finally had my chance.  While riding the Piglet around town with Paige we happened upon a sawah (rice paddy) and saw this man and machine in operation.  I have no idea what to call this thing, other than a mud-making-rice paddy-smoother outer.  It's really loud too!  It is basically replacing the work that would otherwise be done by a team of water buffalo.

Just like any public works project, there has to be a few men just sitting around watching the other guy work. These two men were happily talking away right next to the sawah that was getting prepared for planting.  They only spoke Javanese so my communication was limited.  However, he knew enough Indonesian that he told me to wait until he put his hat on to have his picture taken.

No comments: