Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From the Logbook...Working on the Beach

Yesterday, I was able to fly to Naan (see the videos in the previous post) and we were able to get in a lot of training.  After numerous takeoffs and landings, I was able to spend about an hour and a half sitting and chatting with some folks that lived on the river bank.  We were operating almost literally on the Equator and I found myself once again amazed trying to imagine the life that the people of Naan live compared to mine.

Thankfully I wasn't offered any dog while in Naan, but I was given a lesson on pig farming in the jungle.  Like most piglets I've seen, these were very cute.

Today the training continued and we found a community that had an appropriate beach in order to practice "beaching," or running the airplane aground.  Once again it offered a lot of new challenges and brought a lot of new considerations to my mind.  Usually we use docks to load and offload people and their belongings.  But on the rare occasion we will beach the aircraft if the location is suitable.  Pretty Sweet!!!

No comments: