Sunday, November 20, 2011

Canoe Trip

While waiting for my passengers to complete their business, I saw a canoe tied up to the same dock as my airplane and asked if I could take it for a paddle.  The owner quickly obliged, although he thought I was crazy since he didn't have his motor installed in it.  Why would anyone want to paddle for fun?!  The river current quickly took me downstream, and it took me a while to learn how to paddle the long canoe and I eventually fought my way upstream for about 30 minutes.

As I finally arrived on the side of my airplane I snapped a quick picture.  I couldn't put the paddle down for too long because I was already going backwards.

On my way back downstream, trying to get back to my airplane before a torrent of rain began again, I took one more picture.  It didn't take long to realize how hard it was to paddle a canoe against the current and why almost all canoes now have motors attached to them.  Living interior is HARD!  Once I arrived back at my airplane I laid down inside and took a nap.  Nothing like a rain shower and the rocking waves to put you right to sleep.  Shortly thereafter, my Javanese pastors arrived back at the airplane and we flew one hour back to PalangkaRaya.  It sounds like their time was successful and we will potentially be seeing a lot more of each other as we, MAF, continue to serve the interior church.

No comments: