Saturday, April 07, 2012

From the Logbook...Chased by Rain pt.1

A few weeks ago while trying to make it home in the late afternoon a huge thunderstorm was drenching PalangkaRaya and all parts north...just where I wanted to go.  I tried to find a way around, but it didn't work.  Eventually I gave up and landed at a new village, just as the heavens cut loose.  Our other program aircraft was already there, waiting the storm out as well.

Thankfully, me and my passengers were invited into a nearby home right on the bank of the river.  We enjoyed getting to know the people and they served us some awesome vanilla tea...an Indonesian specialty!

Life moved a lot slower in the community that we weathered the storm out in.  The local economy is driven by rubber production, and when its raining cats and dogs, everyone seeks shelter.

See my next post in a few days for more pictures of the day the rain chased me around Borneo...

4 comments:

Irvan said...

did you swim across the river to take the first pic?

swimming in the river while raining is lots of fun. once you jumped on the river, you'll realised that the river are warmer than the rain.

Sean Cannon said...

@Irvan...I was in the cockpit of MCB when I took the picture. I had just landed about 5 minutes after MCD and at the time was looking for a dock to use.

You are right though...swimming in the rivers is warmer that the rain. It's fun too!

Dave said...

Bro, nice shots! That's some serious rain! I had a blast riding along with you the other day. You guys are awesome at what you do! Keep it up!

Crissie said...

Great shot of the rain - it's difficult to really capture that - I could feel & hear it!