Saturday, June 02, 2012

From the Logbook..."Billy Graham of the East"

(For those of you who read my blog...I'm still here.  Usually a lack of blogging means I am too busy to find the free time to dedicate to posting pictures of our ministry here.  That has been the case for the past few weeks as my teammate and his family suddenly went home to America due to a family emergency.  I've been "holding down the fort" by myself for the past few weeks which means lots of flying, and not much free time for blogging.  So, over the next few weeks, I have posted the last months worth of pictures.  Enjoy!)

One of my most recent flights had me transporting Stephen Tong and his entourage to a few large villages in Central Borneo.  According to Wikipedia, Stephen Tong is the "Billy Graham of the East" and it was a pleasure to fly him and his team over the course of 3 days to their evangelistic events.  His crew was top notch and very professional.  It was a joy to help in serving them as they shared the hope we have in Jesus with those I rub shoulders with every day.  His nightly events drew thousands of people culminating with his last event here in PalangkaRaya where we live.

Above I merged some pictures together of one of the places I took Reverend Tong and his team.  While to the untrained float pilot eye it may not look like much, let me just say that the docking and un-docking process of my airplane at this location was the hardest, most challenging docking I've had to this date.  As I retold the story to Becca around the dinner table that evening I was surprised to feel my heart begin to race again as I recounted the near misses of my wings almost hitting buildings, my floats being caught in reverse currents, and the people on the dock offering too much "help" and in the process almost leaving me in a pickle.  Thankfully, it all ended well, and the airplane is still unscathed although it's pilot grew a few more grew hairs!

4 comments:

Irvan said...

you're so lucky can met Stephen Tong. he's a highly respected Reverend in Indonesia.

i remembered in his preach, he said that the most beautiful legs in the world are those who stepped their foots in the untamed jungle to spread out His words.

and i think you have the most beautiful legs, too my friend!

Sean Cannon said...

It was really cool to meet Rev. Tong. My "job" is very cool. I am blessed to be able to serve as a pilot with MAF.

Anonymous said...

Sean! It's me, Michael, the young man in the picture. It's a wonderful blessing to see you again on your blog! God bless you, brother! To Him be the glory!

Sean Cannon said...

Nice to hear from you Michael! I pray you are all still active in sharing God's WORD through whatever medium or place. Come see us again some time!