Tuesday, August 20, 2013

From the Logbook...Kidney Failure

About a month ago, I was called to an interior village to pick up a woman that was experiencing kidney failure.  I was able to take one of my Tarakan colleagues with me, Ben Eadie, who took all of these pictures with my camera while I was getting things ready.

As I was getting the cabin ready for the patient and filling out paperwork, the lady in the back totally photo-bombed Ben's picture.  So funny!

It was a precarious trip to get the patient from the shore to the airplane.  Thankfully the only thing that got wet was the carriers feet.

More than one precarious crossing provided challenge for the woman's family members that brought her to the airplane.

An hour and a half after taking off, we landed near the city of Banjarmasin.  In Banjarmasin, we are only a few miles from the ocean, and the river is huge, as can be seen by the size of the barges in the background.

But river life is still river life.  There are still many small boats using traditional methods to fish.  This man was getting ready to cast his net and see what he could bring up.

This guy had luck.  I'm still amazed by how many different kinds of fish I see come out of the rivers here. 

While Ben took pictures of the local fishermen, he was also taking pictures of me and the woman's family unload her from the airplane.  We were able to get the hurting woman to an awaiting car to take her to the nearby hospital.  

Once the lady was on her way to the hospital, I spent a few minutes talking to the owner of the dock we use in Banjarmasin.  Without the co-operation of local dock owners, our work in the float-plane would be even more challenging.

No comments: