Thursday, December 26, 2013

From the Logbook...Field Trip, Merauke, Papua (1 of 4)

Earlier this month, I had a wonderful opportunity to travel from Central Borneo to Merauke, Papua in order to observe our other MAF base that operates a float plane there.  We are hoping to have a new, turbine aircraft at our location some time at the end of 2014, so I went to see what I could learn from our colleagues in Papua about how they operate their turbine float plane.  I came back with a TON of great information!

Papua is a beautiful place!  Some of the places we went looked just like the places I visit with the float plane in Borneo.  Other places were very different indeed.

The culture and people groups in Papua are wildly different from who I'm accustomed to seeing in Borneo.  It was hard to believe I was still in Indonesia at times.

The Cessna Caravan that I was flying in was a great airplane!  It's basically like the BIG brother of the smaller Cessna 185 that I've been flying for the past few years.

Tom, one of the pilots at the Merauke base shared a lot of valuable information with me.  It was great to learn from someone with more experience than me.

No comments: