Friday, August 29, 2014

Bennett Peak Climb

One of my dreams for a long time has been to hike to the summit of nearby Bennett peak with my whole family.  Rebecca and I had been to the summit a few times before, but never with our family.

In June we took a day and decided to make a go of getting to the summit.  At first the girls didn't think it was that fun, but they began to get into it after a while.

Our littlest Cannon soon took the lead and she could hardly be kept up with.  By this time, we were above tree line and feeling the effects of thinner oxygen.  But Paige set the stage and I had to almost jog to keep up with her.  She was like a mountain goat.

The view from the top was awesome.  Spring was finally transitioning to summer, although the temps at the summit were much cooler than we were used to.

Finally, after hiking a few miles and a few hours, we reached the summit at 13,200 feet above sea level.  Even Mo the monkey, our traveling family mascot, made the journey with us.

Thankfully there was this big rock cairn at the summit.  The wind was pretty strong on the summit and having something to duck behind made the experience better.  I was so proud of my little Cannons making it to the summit.  I know it's not easy for little legs, but they did it anyway.

No comments: