Monday, March 30, 2015

From the Logbook...Survey Trip to Tumbang Tohan (Pt. 4 of 5)


Because the pilots side rudder controls were rendered useless after the left rudder bar broke, I flew from the right seat and we continued home.  Isaac was able to get pictures of me on takeoff.  Jujang Parit is a "sporty" location for both takeoff and landing!


The river is very short which means we have to actually begin our takeoff roll around the corner.  We begin by applying full power, get the airplane on the step, then we retard the throttle a little bit so that we aren't too fast in the corner, and then when we have rounded the corner we "pour on the coals" and accelerate to flying speed.


As I passed right in front of Isaac's camera I was just about ready to fly...but if your aren't patient and you have bad technique in a place like JPR, you must abort the takeoff and return to your starting point to begin again.  A heavily loaded airplane like the one I was flying demands perfect technique to get out of JPR with margin.


After I passed my pre-determined abort point there was no going back now.  Whatever happens it will occur in front of me now.  Once you are airborne hold a perfect airspeed and initiate your climb above the trees and surrounding terrain.  Have I ever said flying float planes is fun?!  (it's a little challenging too!)

No comments: