Monday, October 19, 2015

From the Logbook...Backwards Patient


We provide a fair amount of medical flights.  Usually, we are called to rush to a village and bring said patient to the nearest medical care.  Unfortunately, not all medical type flights are full of much hope.


A few months ago, we were asked to take a gentleman back to his home village where he could spend the rest of his few remaining days.  He had already been hospitalized in our city, and after months of medication, the was no longer anything else the doctors could do to eliminate his bone cancer.


Despite the tough circumstances surrounding this flight, we were honored to be able to serve this man and his family through this difficult experience.


Unloading the patient and his family was a little interesting in this village.  I couldn't find a good dock to use, so I tied up the airplane to some floating rubber.  The rubber is taken from the sap of rubber trees and then it is molded into "bales" and floated down to market and sold for industrial uses.  Let me just say that it doesn't support the weight of a big westerner very well!  It's not uncommon for me to get wet feet at some point during the day.  Ah, the life of a float plane pilot!  It's awesome.!


3 comments:

Nate said...

I was looking at the DSCOVR satellite images today and it looked like you guys are under quite a bit of smoke. Do you still fly in it or does it ground you? DSCOVER Imagery

Sean Cannon said...

Hi Nate...thanks for the image. Yes, we are under a horrendous amount of smoke this year. In fact, we haven't flown since July due to the smoke and my team and I and our families have actually been "evacuated" for 6 weeks now. Because we haven't flown for so long, I decided to dig into my hard drive and find some pictures that I hadn't posted yet. Thus the recent blog posts. We have no idea when we will get back to PalangkaRaya yet, but at the moment it doesn't look like it will be very soon, unfortunately. Pray for rain!!!

Sean Cannon said...

Hi Nate...thanks for the image. Yes, we are under a horrendous amount of smoke this year. In fact, we haven't flown since July due to the smoke and my team and I and our families have actually been "evacuated" for 6 weeks now. Because we haven't flown for so long, I decided to dig into my hard drive and find some pictures that I hadn't posted yet. Thus the recent blog posts. We have no idea when we will get back to PalangkaRaya yet, but at the moment it doesn't look like it will be very soon, unfortunately. Pray for rain!!!