Sunday, May 21, 2006

Slimey

Yesterday I wrapped up (I hope) my secretarial duties at the hangar. Our secretary returns from a much needed vacation this coming week. I was able to learn a whole lot about what we do this week, and see a side of our ministry that perhaps I wouldn't have seen without my secretary position. I am grateful for that if it means I can minister more effectively and also understand the various cultures and peoples that we serve here in Ecuador.

Today I awoke with a mission...to kill slime. Because of the constant moisture and humidity here mold will grow on everything, in this case my sidewalks and general outdoor area of my house. I imagine various parts of the USA have this problem as well, but in the desert southwest where we grew up, mold is practically non-existant. So Brooklyn and I drove to the hangar this morning to get the pressure washer, and we brought it home where I proceeded for the next 4 hours to hose down all forms of dirt, mold, slime, you name it, it got hosed off. It was kinda gratifying to do some manual labor after a week of sittingin the office and feeling my gut begin to grow over my belt.

This afternoon we took the truck to the "big-town" called Puyo. Puyo is an Indian word which means "mist." It is about 8 miles from us with a population of about 40,000 people, compared to Shell's 3,000. We went there just for a little exploration and discovery. In other words, we were bored and went to see what the town had to offer. We ended up finding our way to most corners of the town, and afterwards we ate dinner there at a nice restaurant.

Tommorow we are visiting the last of 4 churches that exist in Shell. It is always a little wierd to visit a new church. I don't think any missionaries or "extranjeros" attend this church, which that said, will make us the only "outsiders" tommorow. This is something we are praying about, because we want to be involved in a church where the gringo community is small or non-existant.

Please continue to pray with us about my pilot licensing process. It looks like we (MAF) have a meeting next Tuesday or Wednesday in Quito to see what will happen with me with some members of the DAC (civil aviation authority). Pray that I will be able to recieve my license next week, or at least be authorized to test for it.

No comments: