Saturday, May 06, 2006

You call that a hearse?

This is a picture of the casket (and body) that I described yesterday that didn't make it to the jungle. Well, today was the day, and first thing this morning off she went. We carry some pretty wierd things sometimes. I was told that when we carry bodies, they are usually wrapped in plastic or a sheet. Not many people can afford a casket.

Today was pretty much the same for me at the hangar. Just kept plodding along trying to study. It is hard to do because of all the "stuff" in trying to even get me an appointment to take my tests. Our goal is next Thursday and Friday to be in Quito, but nothing is in stone yet. I have to get my appointment approved by the Civil Aviation Director, and that may take a while, exp. since I am not Ecuadorian. More on that in a latter blog.

We did feed one of the Boa's today. It was pretty impressive. We had caught a rat in the upstairs of our hangar and let him have it. It had been about a month and a half almost exactly since he ate last. That rat was killed and eaten in no time. The event seems to be kind of a tradition in the hangar as all of the staff gather around to watch nature at work.

When we woke up this morning the sky was pretty clear and we were able to see about 3 of the nearest active volcanoes. All are capped with snow, and they are frankly an awe-inspiring site. I took some pictures but I will wait to take some more since it was still pretty dark. It is a display of contrasts to me to be in the jungle and then see a lot of snow capped peak off in the distance. I guess there is winter on the equator, you just have to be in the right place.

No comments: