Friday, July 21, 2006

Army birds...

Some of you know that we share our airport here in Shell with one of the Ecuadorian Army bases. Therefore, we have a lot of traffic and military training. In fact, Shell's airport is the third busiest in the country behind Quito (1) and Guayaquil (2). Being that those are cities of over 3 million people each, that is saying something of our traffic with our population of about 4,000 people. Here are a few of the aircraft that we see on a daily basis. Not exactly the "modern" army that we as Americans are used to, but perhaps better than nothing.

I don't know what this is, but is is from China I suspect. There are two of these here and they arrived shortly after I did here in Ecuador. The reason I think they are from China is because when they arrived so did their instructors, who were only speaking Chinese on the tower radio frequency. Now, all the Chinese have left, and the Ecuadorians can fly these trainers themselves.

This airplane is made in Israel. I think it is called an Adava. We just call it the flying egg.Again, not sure of the name of this helicopter, but maybe a Westland Lynx.


This helicopter is called a Puma I think. Obviously I don't know my military type aircraft very well, but it is always fun to watch them fly.
The army also has a few of these. I think these are some kind of old Sikorsky. They sure make a lot of wind.

2 comments:

Thumper said...

I've never seen the Chinese trainer before but the second plane is an Israeli IAI 201 Arava transport. I believe the first aircraft is the Puma, probably a French Aerospatiale SA-332 Super Puma. The second helicopter is a French Aerospatiale SA-315B Lama. The last helicopter is a Russian Mil Mi-17 Hip.

Do they know their information is plastered all over the web. My first search came back with this:

"Pastaza / Base Aérea Shell-Mera AP (ICAO code: SESM)
The Grupo Aéreo del Ejército 44 "Pastaza" is based here.
Runway data: Rwy 12/30, Size: 1538 m (5047 ft) x 24 m (80 ft), Elev: 1056m (3465 ft)."

I even found a list of how many operational aircraft they have. I figured most militaries don't advertise that, but who knows.

Thumper said...

I meant the first "helicopter" is the Puma.