Friday, July 07, 2006

Maybe tommorow...

Right when I think things are getting busy, they just get busier. Yesterday I thought the day had finally arrived to begin my actuall flying here in Ecuador. Our instructor pilot Chad and I had done some ground school, and we were going to actually go do a medical emergency flight, and just begin to cover some of the re-training items enroute. Well, then we got delayed because our 1 medical emergency turned into 2. That was still fine, we would just pick up both patients at both locations. Right as I was getting ready to turn the key to start the engine, our flight coordinator came up to the plane and said, "wait, we have a medical transfer to Quito, a burn victim." So, once again I "spooled down" and prepared for a totally different flight. This one still being a medical flight, but for a much more critical patient. It was a 14 year old boy that was carrying two pieces of rebar and they both hit an overhead powerwire. This young man's arms, and everything from the waist down was covered in third degree burns. It was not a pretty sight, and it was not for those who have weak stomachs. The only thing he was wearing as we loaded him into the plane was gauze bandages and an IV and a catheter (sp?). Because of his obviously poor physical condition, a doctor come along to monitor the boy during the flight as well as his father. Because of the amount of passengers, and fuel needed to get to Quito, I couldn't go along. So off I went, back to studying my books.

Today, we were slammed busy. I wasn't able to fly today because there wasn't a free moment to spare. We were jam packed with operational flying. I was the flight coordinator today. What that means is I make sure all planned flights have their cargo, fuel, flight plans, weights and balances, etc. On top of that, I also tend to any people that come in to the hangar wanting flights into the jungle, and try to coordinate them into the days schedule, or the following. Needless to say, I was still thinking in Spanish for a while when I got home today. The flight coordinator job is not for wimps, and throwing the "rookie" in was definetly a sink or swim experience.

Tommorow looks promising that I will be able to begin my re-training. While nothing is ever for sure in this job, there is a little hope that tommorow will be the day.

Me and Brooklyn are home alone tonite. Becca went to a women's bible study. I am very glad for her to get out and do that. It is very easy for me to get my quota of people interaction at the hangar while Becca is left at home with a 3 year old. I know she was looking forward to some adult interaction, whereas Brooklyn and I have had some good daddy/daughter time.

No comments: