Friday, October 06, 2006

From the logbook...

Finally I have found a chance (and a reason) to post a blog. Since Friday of last week, I have been battling what appears to be a severe sinus infection. I missed half a day Tuesday, and all of yesterday from work. I went to the doctor on Tuesday afternoon and have been on some good drugs ever since. They definetly seem to be working as I was able to be back at work today, feeling almost 100%.

Fortunately, I was able to get airborne today. This morning after the weather finally cooperated, I made the first flight out of the hangar around 11:00 to do a post maintenance flight in Alas 12. Everything checked out fine, and soon after Alas 12 was flying operationaly with my boss Dan.

A bit after I returned from lunch, I was notified that when Dan and Alas 12 got back from their current flight, I would be taking it back into the jungle to pick up an emergency medical patient. It was into a strip called Montalvo. Montalvo is about 45 minutes from Shell, and I had never been there. The military actually has a small base there, therefore the strip is actually "nice." In order to get out there, I was dodging clouds for a while, and finally I just had to accept the inevetable and go IFR, or enter the clouds instead of flying around them. I was only in the clouds for about 15 minutes when I broke out and flew the remaining 10 minutes or so into Montalvo. Soon after our arrival, my patient arrived being towed by her dad. The patient was a 6 year old girl who broke her arm. Nothing life threatening by any means. What made things bad was that she broke that same arm only 4 months ago, and recently, she fell on it, re-injuring it, and breaking the bone in a few new places. Therefore her fracture was requiring special assistance that only a hospital could provide, not the overworked jungle doctor.

So, we were quickly airborne after the little girl and her dad were put onboard, and we were back on our way to Shell. The flight back was uneventful, and after we landed I helped the dad and his little girl find a cab to the hospital.

As always, it is great to be back in the air flying operationaly. I don't know if I will be flying tommorow, but I wish Becca would just have her baby. Tommorow between 8-5 would be a real convenient time for me. I'll be sure to let her know! :) That way I can be home for the weekend and finally get my jungle of a yard tamed!

No comments: