Saturday, November 11, 2006

From the logbook...

Today was my longest day yet of flying. We only had two pilots and lots to do, so me and my co-worker Steve went at it. I flew just over 4 hours today, and had 8 landings. I made my last landing at about 5:30pm, which to us is only 30 minutes before sunset. I had two different flights that oringinated in Shell. My first flight was out to Montalvo taking some patients back, and then picking up some teachers and bringing them back to Shell. My second flight was a little more involved.
For my second flight I went first to a village called Pimpintza. I was dropping off a medical return, a man and his son. Just as I was getting ready to leave, trying to beat the rain, it "caught" me, and I had to shut down and stay about 15 more minutes until the rain lightened and passed by a little bit. You can tell from the picture that the kids there in Pimpintza were a lot of fun, and enjoyed having the wing for a place to stay a little drier.

From Pimpintza, I flew 15 minutes to Surikintza, also to drop off another patient and his baby. Everything there was a non-event, and soon after I was en-route 10 minutes away to Charapacocha.
I dropped off my last medical return here in Charapacocha. I then loaded about 250 pounds of corn seed in the belly pod, and made the 5 minute flight to Numbaimi. There I dropped off all the corn seed, and picked up a government medical team of 3 ladies, and took them 5 minutes back to Charapacocha. We took them into the jungle on Tuesday, and we have been moving them around everyday to a different village. Tommorow we will bring them back to Shell after a week in the jungle. Of the three women on the medical team, one was a doctor, one a nurse, and the one seen here a dentist. Immediatly they had a lot of work to do, and the doctor quickly found two patients that needed more professional help from a hospital. So after spending a little time in Charapacocha, I loaded up my 2 patients, and headed for Shell. 45 minutes later I made my 8th and final landing of the day, and saw my patients to the awaiting ambulance, for a ride to a hospital in nearby Puyo.

No comments: