Thursday, November 30, 2006

From the logbook...Radio Install

Today I was part of helping one of our radio technicians install a new FM radio in a village called Chinkianentza. We have an extensive network of radios throughout the jungle. They help us to know the weather, medical emergencies, needs, etc. We have been working on a complete jungle upgrade these past few weeks, replacing old HF radios with new FM radios. Here is a small look into what we did this afternoon...
The men pictured here were the majority of the helpers that we had. Here they had just placed the pole in the ground that holds the antenna. It was stinkin' heavy. The man on the right with the paint on his face is wearing the typical Shuar makeup. He was the only one that I saw wearing the traditional makeup.


I have said that it rains here right?


Here we are taking the old antenna down, so we can put a new cable and hardware in. Did I mention that it was heavy?


What is a good jungle trip without some bug pictures. Many places I have been in the jungle are literally swarming with butterflies. It is a pretty stunning sight. I think these butterflies were licking salt from the dirt.

No comments: