Sunday, November 19, 2006

"Mission to the headhunters"

A few blogs ago I told you about the book called "Mission to the headhunters." I also told you I found it in the local school library, and let me just say, it is awesome. I am about half way through it, and I just cannot believe sometimes what I am reading, and that it is describing the same places that I serve and fly. Things have changed so much here in Ecuador in the last 50-60 years since the stories in this book took place. I highly recommend anyone interested to find this book and read it. Amazon.com has it for about $10 new, if you wanted to buy it.

On a side note responding to some of the things Becca wrote about in her last blog, I just need to clarify some things. First of all, I am in total agreement that the home life is much more dangerous than my "day job." It goes without saying that living with 3 women, and three girl dogs, and 2 girl cats is very dangerous. I am the only form of testosterone to be found for miles.

Secondly, I did not offer my help to Becca to hang the curtain. Any wise man would know to steer a wide course around such trouble. When I walked into the room, she said, "hey, you, mister, get yer' little tail up here and help me before I get mad." Being the diplomat and humble servant that I am, I quickly and willingly jumped in to help narrowly avert destruction and ruin.

Third, yes I did have a close call on the roof yesterday. As with most things of this matter, in hindsight it is really funny. It was just like you see on TV. There I was "just a hanging on the precipice," in fact hanging for dear life by only the strength of a few fingers, and Becca finally got out of bed and made her way onto the roof to help me. I must have been hanging there for 10 minutes by the time she came. If she was going to take so long getting up there, the least she could have done was to bring the camera and get a picture of me hanging there like Sylvester Stalone in the movie "Cliffhanger." But at least we will always share the memory of the "roof day."

Fourth, stinkin electricity. It finally came on about 4pm yesterday afternoon. Of course almost all of Shell had electricity, but our block got pretty fried by a lightening bolt, so it took them a while to fix it. Praise the Lord we had a generator to keep things cold. I am going to have to buy one when we move to our new house. The electricity goes off at least twice a week. Usually it comes back on in decent time, but every once in a while it goes for a day or more. But, on a side note, it is fun to eat dinner by flashlight. While I wouldn't go as far and say it is romantic, it is memorable nontheless.

ps-Kids, be carefull on those roofs!

No comments: