Friday, December 15, 2006

From the logbook...

From our lack of blogs over the past few days, one can surmise two things. That nothing much is happening worth writing about, or we are too busy to write anything. It is obviously the later. There is always something to write about. We live in a third world country, remember? In just the past two days I have flown about 8 hours and had 20 landings. I have flown everything from medical evacs, to patient returns, roofing metal, missionaries, medicine, medical teams, etc. . It has been a blast and it makes for good sleeping. Although, I didn't sleep that great last night. I think it was to do with some of the food I ate while in Tsetsakentsa. While there yesterday, they offered me some of the best white meat they know, parrot breast. Not too bad I must say.
The picture above is from Sharamentza. It was a fun strip, and dropped off about 100 feet at the one end into the Pastaza River below. I was dropping off some medical patients returning to their homes.This is a picture of the runway at Tsetzakentsa (TSE). I was there yesterday as part of a radio install again. We were very close to the southern Ecuadorian border with Peru in that village. After we landed, we still had to hike about 15 minutes to the village. Needless to say, I was sweating a little bit. The people of TSE were incredible. They had never had a radio before, and they were so grateful to us for finally coming and putting one in. The simple radio represents such a life link for them. They have had people die just because there wasn't anyone, or anyway to tell someone of the sickness. Now they have hope, through just a simple radio. The villagers fed us until we were bloated, and as we were leaving, they sat me and our radio guy Rob down at a table and they all thanked us personally for coming, and for caring about them. It was very touching indeed. There are many villages that I go into that I can't wait to get out of. The spiritual difference from one village to another that is only 5 minutes away is sometimes very noticeable. This was a typical home in TSE. Surrounding the house is the yucca plant. They harvest it's large root, and make all kinds of food from it, including the famous chicha drink.

Tomorrow I have the day "off." I am on call this weekend to fly, so we try to take Friday off if it is our weekend. I sure have plenty to do tomorrow, but that is better than nothing to do. We are going to try and get our driver's licenses tomorrow. This process has been discouraging to say the least. Please join us in prayer with this simple matter, that we will glorify Christ, as well as walk out of the police headquarters with our licenses.

No comments: