Friday, March 16, 2007

From the logbook...

I always say this, but we were really busy today flying. Here are some of the things I did...
  • My first leg I flew a Compassion International team of 4 and their cargo into a village called Chinkianentza.
  • Then I went and picked up 2 guys with HCJB World Radio that are working on some water projects in the jungle. I moved them from Taisha to Makuma
  • In Makuma I loaded up a dead woman and 3 of her family members and flew them 10 minutes away to Ayuy. The customs they have of mourning the dead are very interesting. I wish I could think of a respectful way to record it and show everyone, but I can't think of it. I guess I'll just keep it saved in my mental hard drive.
  • From Ayuy, I flew back to Shell and loaded up my next flight. I ate my lunch en-route. Best cafe I know of, and it always has a great view.
  • I took 2 Compassion International workers to the village of Quewadiono (QWE). They took a ton of stuff. My airplane was literally full to the ceiling with their things.
  • After landing and unloading in QWE, I flew 10 minutes to Damointaro to pick up another Compassion worker and I took him to QWE as well.
  • I had some medicine on board as well for a patient in Quenahueno (QNO). From QWE I flew to QNO and dropped off the medicine. I had hoped to simply hand the medicine out the window and be on my way back to Shell, but I learned after landing in QNO that Shell was shut down with heavy rain. After waiting a while in QNO, things cleared up in Shell and I was back on my way.
  • After 10 landings, over 4 hours of flying, and hauling everything from concrete, dead people, living people, dogs, chickens, backpacks, clothes, medicine, mail, money, food, propane, gasoline, foam pads, school materials, a stereo, 100's of lemons, a broken radio, and some fresh bread I am thankfully home. All in a day's work. Looks like it will be the same tomorrow.
  • A missionary living in the jungle once told me that for every minute we fly, it would have taken him an hour on the ground hiking. Therefore, I flew roughly 252 minutes today. With more figuring, the same goods and services I flew today would have taken 21 days to accomplish, hiking 12 hours a day. That is impressive, and a good reminder of why we are here doing what we are doing. Praise God for this opportunity to serve, and thanks to all of you who support us in your prayers and with your pocketbooks. Together we are making an eternal difference.


This is a pic of some of the villagers that came and hung out with me in QNO while a waited for the weather to clear up 50 miles away in Shell. We sure weren't worried about the weather or the rain in QNO. It was HOT!!!

5 comments:

Javier said...

Hello Sean,

*So know you fly most of the time the HC-CFQ now?

*The other day the the tire sunk into the strip, how did you pull the tire out?

And another thing, What type of Camera do you use for the pic's?

Regards

Javier Vermaas

Rebecca said...

Hi Javier. Yes, I have been flying HC-CFQ a lot lately, but really for no particular reason. Between our 5 airplanes they are all on a maintenance schedule. Because of that we try to fly our airplanes in such a way that they aren't all in maintenance at the same time. That said, Alas 14 is a ways out from it's maintenance window right now, so it is getting flown a lot, I happen to be it's pilot.

The other day when my tire sunk into the dirt, we used a machete to dig in front of the wheel clearing the dirt. Then, I got back in the cockpit and started the engine. At full power, and help from my missionary friend pushing on the left wing strut, it came out.

For my camera, I use a Canon EOS Digital Rebel. I carry a few lenses with me, but mostly use my wide angle for 75 percent of my pics.

Javier said...

Hi Sean. So you guys have 5 airplane's in shell and the other are in quito?

Wel what a bad luck did you have on that day, the tire sunk, the cargo door open.

Can you maybe send me a pic of the Camera? The picture that you make are nice pic's CLEAR!!

Regards
Javier

Rebecca said...

Javier...I cannot take a pic of my camera because it is the only camera I have. You can go to Canon's website and see what they have, and get a look at what I have...Sean

Javier said...

Hi Sean,

Ok than, i'll check on google or the other search-engine's

Regards
Javier