Monday, March 12, 2007

The legacy lives on...

Yesterday as planned I had a lot of flying to do. Most of my flying had to do with bringing an American work team out of Makuma. It took me three flights to get them and all their gear out. They were in Makuma since last Tuesday putting a roof on the village church. It sounds like they all had a great time, and they all got sunburned. My loads going into the jungle entailed returning patients to their villages, and also hauling two full 55 gallon barrels of fuel on my last flight. As anticipated, I was pooped when I got home.

Below you will see the newest airplane in Shell. As with most communities in Latin America, everything in the town is centered around a town plaza, or square. Shell is no different, and ever since we got here last year they have been sprucing up the plaza, and really making it nice. The centerpiece for the plaza just arrived this past week. It represents the two things that have developed the province of Pastaza and made it known, perhaps around the world. The two things are oil and aviation. It was pretty neat when the truck pulled into town with the little yellow Piper Cruiser replica on it's flatbed. It is a 1:1 scale model of the airplane that Nate Saint was flying when he served here. Surprisingly, many locals do not know the history of the little yellow airplane, but word is spreading fast. They even equipped the airplane with functioning nav lights and strobe lights on the wingtips. It's pretty cool.

I mentioned earlier that I was to lead worship today. I didn't have any emergency flying to do today, so thankfully I was able to make church, and help out. It was my first time leading worship on this scale since we left Costa Rica almost a year ago. It was also my first time leading in Spanish. It went pretty well, although the English wanted to come out a few times. I had a great time leading worship again, and I'm sure I will be helping more in the future.

No comments: