Tuesday, May 15, 2007

From the logbook...lots of legs

I thought it would be fun to tell about my day in a sequential way. It was very full, but also very fun...
  1. I got to the hangar early so I could pre-flight Alas 14 without distraction. After our morning prayer time at 8:00am, I went across the street to the Nate Saint Memorial School. I was asked to speak at their weekly chapel. I went and participated and spoke at chapel, and then got back to the hangar around 9:00am.
  2. I then went and did a "test" flight with 14. It just came out of maintenance and needed to be flown to verify all systems were a go.
  3. When I got back to Shell after about a 20 minute test flight, I loaded up full with cargo and went to Mashient (MSH). I made the 30 minute flight to MSH and unloaded my cargo of building supplies.
  4. Next, I went 10 minutes away to Capahuari (CAP). I picked up a nurse that works for Compassion Internatioinal. She had been wanting to be moved to MSH since last Wednesday. We finally had weather that cooperated.
  5. I flew back to MSH and dropped off the C.I. nurse and her cargo.
  6. Then I flew back to CAP because I forgot to leave some medicine there the first time I landed. In the words of Homer Simpson...DOH!
  7. From CAP I set off for Masuramu (MSR) to pick up a patient with dengue fever. About 5 minutes from CAP I got a radio call asking me to go to Conambo (CON) first. Luckily, I put on extra gas in Shell.
  8. I then "diverted" to CON and picked up the awaiting patient.
  9. From CON I them set a course for MSR again. This time I landed and picked up the patient with dengue fever.
  10. From MSR, I was finally on my way to Shell, where I picked up my new orders.
  11. Upon landing in Shell, I was loaded completely full again with cargo. This time with tubing and concrete for a large water project by HCJB world radio in Yuvientza (YUV).
  12. One of our other pilots was already in YUV unloading the same stuff I had.
  13. After YUV, I flew back to Shell and made my last landing of the day. All told, 3.7 hours of flight time and 10 landings. It was a fun day!
Here is a look at our cargo loads into YUV. We are able to fit 7 of the big blue rolls of tubing, and 5, 110 pound sacks of concrete in a load. We have a total of 52 rolls of tubing and a lot of concrete just for YUV. There are other communities getting the same water projects as well. We might be busy flying this stuff for a while.


Here is one of our pilots taking off in YUV. He had just finished unloading his cargo and was en-route to Makuma to pick up a patient before heading back to Shell.
On my way home from YUV I was sans passengers. Therefore I did a few "lazy 8's" and had some fun. My job can't be all work! The Pastaza River is visible in the background.


Also on the way home from YUV, there was some mist falling in the area and it made a really bright rainbow. That is the Pastaza River again in the background.



No comments: