Saturday, June 16, 2007

From the logbook...

After waiting until almost 11am yesterday, we finally had good weather, and it just kept getting better as the day went on. I made two flights, my first to a "new to me" airstrip called Sarayacu (SAR) in which I was taking a government medical team. Click here if you want to see the SAR official website. I won't venture out to say much about SAR other than it seems like a spiritually dark place. Many years ago missionaries were based there, and now I honestly don't know a lot about the Christian community that exists. The landing and takeoff in SAR were challenging as well. The whole length of the airstrip was covered in water due to all the rain we have had. I think I would have faired better if I was flying a float plane.

For my second flight I flew a 55 gallon barrel of gas to Mashient with some other cargoes and then I went back to Cumai to pick up a missionary that is building a home there. This particular guy and his wife used to work for MAF, he as a pilot/mechanic like myself. They are from Finland (I think) and are great people. It has been fun to get to know him. They currently live in Quito, and travel into the jungle with us building their home where they hope to base and help the community of Cumai.

As I was getting ready to load in Cumai, I asked if I could get a group picture. I am rarely turned down. You can tell looking behind the airplane that there is a cliff. This cliff drops about 200 feet down to the Pastaza River below. We have many airstrips like this, and it gives an effect similar to an aircraft carrier on landing (not that I have ever landed on a real aircraft carrier, I'm speculating here). In other words...it is fun!

No comments: