Tuesday, August 28, 2007

From the logbook...Medical day

It seems like we did a lot of medical type flying today. I didn't log a lot of time today, but I did have 3 flights. My first flight was a quick "out and back" taking a government medical team into the jungle. They are going to be there for 22 days until we pick them up again.

My second flight was a post maintenance flight. These are usually quick and during my flight I found out my airspeed indicator didn't work. It kinda makes for a weird sensation when you know you are going 140 MPH and the airspeed says "0." After landing a lot of flies were found in the pitot tube (the thingy that make the airspeed work) and they were removed.
For my third flight I switched planes for the third time and went to a close village called Villano to pick up a man that fell out of a tree. He was in pretty bad pain, and luckily the ambulance showed up quickly after my arrival. His stretcher was a simple board, cut flat with a chainsaw.
As I was getting ready to leave on my third flight, our Quito pilot was as well. He flew down from Quito to take a patient from the local hospital up to Quito to receive more advanced care. 50 minutes later they landed in Quito, instead of the 5 hour trip via ambulance.

No comments: