Saturday, August 25, 2007

Mr. President

I had to run some errands today in nearby Puyo and as I drove there I could tell they were anticipating the Presidents visit, the first since his election in January. There were armed soldiers at all intersections, cops everywhere, and lots of traffic. After getting my errands done and trying to get out of Puyo and on my way back to Shell, I saw a funny crowd. As I drove around the crowd and found a parking place, sure enough, it was Mr. Rafael Correa, President of Ecuador talking to the small crowd. I got out of the car and walked (OK I ran) over to where he was and let the pictures start flying. He did seem to have some "protection" in terms of body guards and things, but nothing on the level of an American President. It was fun being 3-4 feet from him and taking his picture. I'm sure I could have butted in the crowd more and shook his hand. For those of you who want to know what Correa is and what he stands for, you won't find it on this blog. I don't like to give my opinion on things like that, especially when I am a guest in someone else's country. It was fun though playing paparazzi. More than anything I was just in the right place at the right time.

No comments: